FAQ List

On this page:

I’m looking for staff

If you need staff for your business there are a number of services, programmes and incentives that can help you.

The network of jobactive providers across Australia can help you find the staff you need for your business.

Your local jobactive provider will work with you to understand and meet your staffing needs. They will refer potential employees for your business who are ready for a real work environment and provide support after your new employee starts work and as they settle into the job.

Your jobactive provider can also provide you with access to a number of wage subsidies to help you increase your workforce. 

Find your local jobactive provider and speak to them about your staffing needs. Your jobactive provider can give you a copy of their service delivery plan outlining the services you can expect. Plans can also be found on the services tab for each provider at www.jobsearch.gov.au.

You can also use the jobactive website to find staff online. You can create vacancies, search and contact job seekers, shortlist candidates and more. Alternatively, download the Employer jobactive App from iTunes or Google Play.

If you are in a remote area, contact your local Community Development Programme provider for help to meet your workforce needs. You can find your local provider on the jobactive website.

If you are a horticultural grower, you can get help finding harvest workers from jobactive Harvest Labour Services. They screen workers and match them with growers.

You can find your local Harvest Labour Service and advertise your job vacancies on the Harvest Trail website or through the Employer jobactive App.

I need information on workplace relations

The national workplace relations system provides a safety net of minimum terms and conditions of employment and establishes a range of workplace rights and responsibilities. Information on workplace relations is available from a number of sources:

  • For free information and advice on workplace rights and responsibilities, visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website or call 13 13 94.
  • Small businesses can access a prioritised information service by calling on 13 13 94. There are also dedicated resources for small businesses available.
  • Information is available on this website on an employers’ role in providing Parental Leave Pay.
  • If you have a query about a breach of workplace relations law in the building and construction industry, such as those concerning unlawful industrial action, right of entry or freedom of association (for example, the right to belong or not to belong to a union), Fair Work Building and Construction can discuss your options with you and offer advice.
  • If you are an employer in the building industry who tenders for Commonwealth-funded building work, you need to meet certain workplace relations standards. For more information see the Building Code page.

Employing mature age workers

The Corporate Champions programme also helps large employers to attract and retain mature age workers. The programme supports employers who commit to moving towards best practice in the recruitment and retention of mature age staff aged 45 years and over. Eligible employers can receive tailored support and assistance from an industry expert valued at up to $20,000.

Employing people with disability

If you employ or would like to employ people with disability, there are a variety of services available to help you.

Disability Employment Services offer a range of free services to help you recruit and retain people with disability, injury or health condition including:

  • professional recruitment advice and job matching
  • help with job design for employees with disability
  • on-the-job or off-site support to ensure new employees with disability settle into their job
  • ongoing support for as long as it is required, for employees and employers who require support to maintain their employment
  • disability employment information and awareness training
  • help for employees whose job may be in jeopardy as a result of their disability.

Disability Employment Services can also help you access a range of other financial support and incentives, such as workplace modifications, assistive technology, mental health first aid training and disability and deafness awareness training, Auslan interpreting, and wage subsidies including the Wage Subsidy Scheme and Restart.

You can also seek expert advice about the employment of people with disability from a JobAccess Adviser. JobAccess provides free, confidential advice about employing people with disability, including information about the full range of free Australian Government services available.

Employing young people

Generation Success provides a range of resources to help employers take action on youth employment. Generation Success is an industry led initiative aimed at drawing employers’ attention to youth unemployment in Australia, and providing practical tips and advice to support employers, young people as well as parents and educators.

Employing Indigenous Australians

Employers who want to offer work placements and ongoing employment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tertiary students can get financial help through the Indigenous Cadetship Support program.

If you are in a remote area, contact your local Community Developement Programme provider for information on the assistance available to you to employ Indigenous Australians. You can find your provider on the jobactive website.

If you are interested in starting or growing an Indigenous owned business and employing staff, visit the Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) website.

Wage subsidies

As an employer, there are a number of wage subsidies available to you if you hire eligible job seekers including mature age,long-term unemployed, indigenous, youth, or parents.

  • The Restart wage subsidy delivers up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) to employers if they hire an eligible job seeker 50 years of age or older.

  • Wage subsidies of up to $6,500 (GST inclusive) are also available if you hire eligible job seekers who are long-term unemployed, Indigenous, under 30 or a parent.

Wage subsidies are available through your local jobactive provider – you can find them on the jobactive website.

I need information on paid parental leave

The Paid Parental Leave scheme provides eligible working parents with up to 18 weeks of government-funded Parental Leave Pay at the rate of the National Minimum Wage. Under the scheme, the Australian Government funds employers to provide Parental Leave Pay to their eligible employees.

The Supporting Working Parents website and online resources contain comprehensive information for employers and employees on workplace rights and obligations in relation to pregnancy, parental leave and return to work. The resources act as a one-stop-shop with information on anti-discrimination, workplace relations and work health and safety laws.

I want to give confidential feedback

Use this form to provide confidential feedback to the department.