The third round of applications is now open!
Applications will close 4 December 2020 at 17:00 AEDT
For questions about the application process, contact BUSY At Work on 13 BUSY (13 28 79), or email@example.com no later than 3 December 2020.
What is the Commonwealth Scholarship Program for Young Australians?
Part 1: Scholarship
The Program provides scholarships of up to $5,000 a year, for around 400 young Australians from select regions to undertake an Approved Course of Study. The scholarships target occupations identified in projected growth industries and in-demand occupations within each region.
Part 2: Internship
Scholarship recipients also complete a 20 day paid internship, for which they receive an additional $3,000. Host Employers receive $1,500 per intern hosted.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship Program for Young Australians if you are:
- Aged 15 to 24 years old, or exited the Australian Defence Force in the last two years;
- Are not in full-time work or school at the time of applying;
- Live in one of the 10 nominated regional areas (see below);
- Intend to apply for an eligible VET qualification at the Certificate III to Advanced Diploma level which will lead to an occupation in demand.
If you have exited the Australian Defence Force in the last two years, are Indigenous, are living with an illness, injury or disability, or are from a culturally or linguistically diverse background, we would love to see your application.
Where are the 10 regions?
To be eligible you must live in one of the ten nominated regions. The regions are:
- New South Wales - Grafton and Gosford
- Northern Territory – Alice Springs
- Queensland – Maryborough and Townsville
- South Australia – Port Pirie
- Tasmania – Burnie
- Victoria – Shepparton
- Western Australia – Wanneroo and Armadale
Will I need to study full-time?
If you win a scholarship you can choose to study part-time or full-time.
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians is part of the Australian Government’s $585 million Skills Package, Delivering Skills for Today and Tomorrow. The aim of the program is to support Young Australians and ex Australian Defence Force personnel to gain critical employability skills, which are embedded in VET qualifications, as well as hands on work experience through completing an internship, enabling them to enter and stay in the workforce.