Jo’s engineering background in oil and gas, made her conscious of minimising impacts on the environment. She became even more conscious of her carbon footprint after having her first child and began to explore ways of living a more sustainable lifestyle.
What began as an interest in home composting has since grown into a passion for permaculture design and eco-friendly gardening products, which are now the core of her in-store and online business.
The retail store supports the educational side of the business, which aims to encourage people to reduce their impact on the earth.
Turning your passion into a sustainable business
Jo’s goal is to transform Urban Revolution into an eco-hub – a central hub for like‑minded businesses and customers to share, learn and be part of a connected eco‑conscious community. Her vision is for this hub to educate, motivate and provide people with the knowledge and tools to make a difference in relation to environmental issues.
To support these future goals, Jo’s key business priorities are to increase revenue and reduce costs. However, a crowded online market for eco-friendly products and heavy discounting by competitors create challenges for her business. To combat this, she needs to draw more customers to her business by communicating the unique value that Urban Revolution offers above their competitors.
Jo’s personal passion and knowledge of her industry sets her apart from competitors and is a major draw-card for customers who visit the store. This positive in-store experience needs to be replicated online to keep the Urban Revolution brand consistent.
Digital tools provide the opportunity to better communicate the business’ point of difference and benefit to customers, which includes products, knowledge, passion and expertise.
Learnings from the Digital Needs Assessment
Jo is focussing her efforts on these digital aspects:
- Optimising the content and design of her website so she can better communicate about her business and meet her customers’ needs. Whether this is products or information, it will help her customers get more engaged online and can help drive customers to her store.
- Working on a targeted digital marketing strategy to drive more customer activity to the website and store. A good strategy includes monitoring marketing activities and their effect on generating sales in different channels, then, re-adjusting as needed.
- Implementing a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool to automate personalised and targeted marketing on her e-Commerce website. This will help build ongoing relationships with customers through tailored communication and unlock opportunities for repeat business.
Learnings for other small businesses
Engaging your customers online is an important part of building brand awareness, market reach and in turn, sales.
To market your business effectively, think about the following:
- What is my business’ unique “value proposition”? What is it about my business that sets it apart from the rest and why should customers choose us?
- Develop a short and clear statement about what you do and why it is valuable.
- Who are my target customers?
- Have a clear understanding of the types of customers you want to attract to your business. This might include a specific age-group or interests. Get to know more about your customers, so you can tailor the ways you find and advertise to them.
- What do customers need to know about my business?
- Imagine you’re a customer that is interested in your business. What is the key information you need to know to make the decision to purchase goods or services?
- What do I want my customers to do? What is their “call to action”?
- Identify what you want your customers to do once they know about your business; for example, visit the store, purchase products online, book services, call for a quote or recommend you to their social network.
Knowing these things about your business will form the foundations for improving your website, social media and digital marketing, helping your business to reach more customers with the right message!