Frequently asked questions about the Seasonal Work Incentives Trial

What is the Seasonal Work Incentives Trial?

Growers in the horticultural industry often need short term labour during peak times, particularly during harvest. The Australian Government’s new two-year Seasonal Work Incentives Trial (Trial) aims to address this need.

Commencing from 1 July 2017 this Trial offers financial incentives to help unemployed people to take up short-term work in the horticultural industry. A maximum of 3,800 placements are available in each year of the Trial.

Who is eligible for the Seasonal Work Incentives Trial?

Unemployed people may be eligible for the trial if they are receiving Newstart or Youth Allowance (other) payment for a minimum of three continuous months. They also need to be receiving services through a jobactive, Transition to Work or Disability Employment Services provider.

There are two incentives for unemployed people to be involved in the Trial:

  • They can earn an extra $5,000 without affecting their income support payments.
  • They are also eligible to receive a Living Away and Travel Allowance of up to $300 per year if the work is located more than 120 km from their home.

What is Qualifying Seasonal Horticultural Work?

Qualifying seasonal horticultural work for the Trial includes short term work such as picking and packing fruit, nuts or other crops in rural or regional Australia. The full definition is on the program page.

Employment service providers (providers) are managing the Trial. This includes jobactive, Transition to Work and Disability Employment Services.

Providers will work with growers in the horticultural industry to identify their work needs and place eligible participants with them.

The Government will pay providers a weekly incentive payment for up to six weeks, depending on the duration of the job, to support growers and workers under the Trial.

How can I take part in the Seasonal Work Incentives Trial?

Growers should contact their nearest provider to discuss their work needs. Contact details are on the jobactive website (search by provider type and location).

Unemployed people can also contact their employment service provider to find out about job opportunities under the Trial.