Technology has the potential to further enhance and transform the Department’s business and service delivery to improve productivity, innovation, responsiveness, meet our people’s expectations for better services, and contribute to the creation of more open government. By being closely aligned with the Department’s goals and strategies, the Department’s ICT can deliver the services, technology and solutions to help achieve our vision of ‘more jobs, great workplaces’.
The Department continues to explore and invest in innovative technologies and is recognised as being at the forefront of the deployment of these technologies within the Australian Public Service (APS). The Department is a leader in the deployment of Microsoft technologies such as .Net, SharePoint, Exchange, SQL, Windows and the Office Suite. Our desktop applications and facilities are also considered cutting edge within government.
While the majority of the Department’s ICT workforce is based in Canberra, it also has a development branch located in North Ryde in Sydney. The Department is also supported by a Shared Services Centre that plays a core part in the delivery of direct ICT services to the Department and other APS agencies.
What our graduates do
The ICT Discipline of the Graduate Programme offers university graduates a diverse and challenging career in ICT. We offer a flexible working environment and are committed to supporting the individual career aspirations of our graduates.
Opportunities for graduates include, but not limited to:
- development/coding (mainly Microsoft product suite)
- project management
- production support
- business analysis
- database development and administration (SQL)
- date warehousing and analytics
- network and gateway
- ICT security
- server build and management
- contract management
- system administration and operations
- unified communications
- mobile workspaces
- ICT forensics
- user experience design
A number of these roles exist within the Shared Services Centre.
What we are looking for
The ICT stream of the Graduate Programme is offered to university graduates who have undertaken an ICT qualification including:
- Bachelor of Information and Communications Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology in Mainframe Computing
- Bachelor or Engineering in Network and Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Business Information Systems
- Bachelor of Design and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Graphics
- Bachelor of Business Informatics
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Applications
Those with qualifications in other areas who are interested in a career in ICT are also encouraged to apply.
We are also looking for graduates who have the following qualities:
- a resourceful team player.
- good communication skills.
- a willingness to undertake challenging ICT roles.
- a commitment to personal development.
- someone who values diversity.
- the ability to think laterally and strategically.
- attention to detail.