Insurance arrangements for Employment Services activities


The Department of Education, Skills and Employment (the Department) purchases insurance for participants undertaking approved Employment Services activities, and combined liability insurance for job seekers and hosts of approved Employment Services activities and Community Support Projects.

Important:  These policies do not indemnify Employment Services providers (providers) or host organisations.  Employment Services providers and host organisations must also have their own public liability insurance and other insurances as specified in their respective employment services related agreements.

Disclaimer: The purpose of this document is to provide general information to members of the public about the forms of insurance arrangements that the Department has purchased for approved Employment Services activities. Any claim under the policies referenced in this document are subject to the terms and conditions of the relevant policy.

Who is covered by the department’s insurance policies?

The Department purchases three insurance policies that provides cover to persons participating in approved Employment Services activities. 

Insurance Purpose
Group Personal Accident Provides insurance for certain personal injuries to participants
Combined Liability for job seekers Provides insurance for job seeker liability for negligence that results in certain personal injury or damage to property at an activity
Combined Liability for hosts and land owners Combined Liability for hosts and land owners Provides insurance for hosts and land owners liability for negligence that results in certain personal injury or damage to property at a Community Support Project

What is covered by the Group Personal Accident insurance policy?

The Group Personal Accident Insurance policy provides insurance for personal injury to participants. A copy of the Group Personal Accident policy is available, however items may include, but are not limited to:

  • Non-Medicare Medical Expenses
  • Trauma counselling
  • Broken/Fractured Bones benefit, and/or
  • Out-of-pocket expenses, such as travel to and from medical treatment, parking and/or tolls.

Is this the same as Workers’ compensation?

No, the insurance purchased by the Department is not workers’ compensation.

Whether a job seeker participating in approved Employment Services activities is entitled to workers compensation is determined by the laws in each State and Territory.

Separately, the Department has taken out insurance, that in certain circumstances, provides cover to job seekers who suffer personal injury while participating in approved Employment Services activities.

How do I submit an insurance claim?

To submit an insurance claim to the insurer for personal injury you will need to complete and submit the claim form and any receipts to AHI via for any treatment or out of pocket expenses not covered by Medicare.

Claims against the department’s combined liability policy are made by completing and submitting the claim form and forwarding any relevant documentation in support of the claim to

All submitted claims are considered by the relevant insurer to determine if the claims fall within the insurance policy. To ensure your claim is processed, you should file your claim as soon as possible after the event, noting time limits may apply.

Insurance Material

The Department has developed guidance material to support participants, hosts and providers understand its Employment Services insurance arrangements and how to claim under the policies.

The Insurance Reader’s Guide (Guide) explains the type of insurance cover available in the event of certain personal injuries or damage to property while participating in approved Employment Services activities.  This Guide also explains the insurance process and procedural requirements for Employment Services providers.

Participant and Host Insurance Policies

Participant - Group Personal Accident Insurance

Participant - Combined Liability Insurance

Hosts of Community Support Projects


If you have questions relating to the Employment Services insurance arrangements you should contact your job services provider or call the Employment Services National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260 (free call from land lines).