Version 2 of the Policy commences 1 January 2019, however registered training organisations have until 1 July 2019 to transition to the new Privacy Notice at Schedule 1 of the Policy.
The Policy is in four parts:
- Part A Introduction – outlines why VET data is collected
- Part B National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy – specifies obligations on all Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) to collect and submit comprehensive data on their delivery of Nationally Recognised Training. This includes minimum mandatory requirements at:
- Schedule 1 – Privacy Notice
- Schedule 2 – VET Data Use Statement and RTO Declaration and Understanding
- Part C VET Data Access and Disclosure – outlines arrangements for disclosing and using the VET Data held by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER)
- Part D Administration – deals with administration and definitional content.
- assists users to more easily understand their responsibilities for collecting, submitting, using and accessing VET data by consolidating content from three previous documents into one Policy
- increases the efficiency and transparency of Australia's VET sector by minimising exemptions from data collection and submission
- enables more students to obtain records of all the nationally recognised training they have undertaken since January 2015, regardless of where it occurred, by the wider inclusion of Unique Student Identifiers (USIs) in data submissions
- makes more comprehensive VET data available for consumers and provide them with the information they need to make decisions about RTOs and courses in order to inform their training choices.
More information on the National VET Data Policy can be found on the frequently asked questions page. Specific questions may be directed through the Skilling Australia information line on 13 38 73 or via email at VET-DataPolicy@employment.gov.au.