What is NEIS?
NEIS is a program delivered by a network of 21 providers who provide individualised help for job seekers to become self-employed business owners.
NEIS provides job seekers with:
- accredited small business training
- income support for up to 39 weeks (NEIS Allowance) and NEIS Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible)
- personalised mentoring and support from a NEIS provider in the first year of the new business to help a job seeker put their business idea into practice.
A total of 8,600 NEIS places are available nationally each year.
If you are a job seeker, find out more about how NEIS can help you become a self-employed business owner. Further information is also available on the eligibility requirements for job seekers and the sorts of business ideas that are eligible under NEIS, and on NEIS training, support and payments.
Want more information?
- You can directly approach a NEIS provider located in your area. You can find your local NEIS provider on the Find a Provider page on the jobsearch website.
- Alternatively, if you are a job seeker registered with jobactive, ParentsNext or Disability Employment Services, you can talk to your provider or
- Call the Employment Services Information Line on 13 62 68
- Read the Self-employment—New Enterprise Incentive Scheme general fact sheet
- Visit the SelfStart website.
Note that call charges apply for calls to ‘13’ numbers from mobile phones.