Who is eligible for NEIS?
You can participate in NEIS if you:
- are at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing in NEIS Assistance;
- Are not prohibited by law from working in Australia;
- are available to participate in NEIS Training (if relevant) and work Full-Time in your proposed NEIS Business;
- have not received NEIS Assistance in the past year;
- are not an undischarged bankrupt.
If you are a recipient of some Department of Human Services’ or Department of Veterans’ Affairs' pensions, you may be able to choose to remain on these payments while participating in NEIS.
What sort of business is allowed?
If you are eligible, your NEIS provider will assess the business idea to make sure it meets the business eligibility criteria. This means your proposed NEIS business:
- cannot already be operating on a commercial basis
- will have an independent business structure
- is lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- has been assessed as commercially viable by the NEIS provider
- will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
- will be structured so you have and will maintain a controlling interest over the NEIS business for the duration of your time in NEIS.
Want more information?
- You can directly approach a NEIS provider located in your area. You can find your local NEIS provider on the Find a Provider page on the jobsearch website.
- If you are a job seeker registered with jobactive, ParentsNext or Disability Employment Services you can talk to your provider
- Call the Employment Services Information Line on 13 62 68.
- Read the Self-employment—New Enterprise Incentive Scheme general fact sheet
- Visit the SelfStart website.
- Find out more about help available through NEIS or get more details on NEIS training, support and payments
Note that call charges apply for calls to ‘13’ numbers from mobile phones.